Ala'a H. Al-Muhtaseb, PhD
Associate Professor, Petroleum and Chemical Engineering
Sultan Qaboos University, Oman
Name: Dr. Ala’a H. Al-Muhtaseb
2. Education – degree, discipline, institution, year ? PhD in Chemical Engineering, School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Queen’s University Belfast, Belfast-United Kingdom 2000 - 2004 ? BSc. in Chemical Engineering, Department of Chemical Engineering Faculty of Engineering, University of Jordan Amman-Jordan 1993 - 1999
3. Academic experience ? Associate Professor, Department of Petroleum & Chemical Engineering College of Engineering Sultan Qaboos University Oman Sep. 2011 – on going
4. Non-academic experience: None
5. Certifications or professional registrations: None
6. Current membership in professional organizations ? Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE), UK. ? American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), USA
7. Honors and awards ? Best researcher award, College of Engineering, Sultan Qaboos University, May 2017. ? Best paper award at the 4th International Conference on Renewable Energy: Generation and Applications. 8-10 Feb 2016. Belfort, France.
8. Service activities (within and outside of the institution) Committees ? College Social Committee chair Sept. 2018 – on going ? Final Year Projects coordinator Sept. 2017 – on going ? Departmental Student Society Advisor Sept. 2016 – on going
9. Briefly list the most important publications and presentations from the past five years – title, coauthors if any, where published and/or presented, date of publication or presentation •
Farrukh Jamil, Ala'a H. Al-Muhatseb, Myo Tay Zar Myint, Mohab Al-Hinai, Lamya Al- Haj, Mahad Baawain, Mohammed Al-Abri, Gopala krishnan Kumar, A.E.Atabani. Biodiesel production by valorizing waste Phoenix dactylifera L. kernel oil in the presence of synthesized heterogeneous metallic oxide catalyst ([email protected]). Energy Conversion and Management. 155, 128-137.
• Farrukh Jamil, Sandeep K. Saxena, Ala'a H. Al-Muhtaseb, Mahad Baawain, Mohammed Al-Abri, Nagabhatla Viswanadham, Gopalakrishnan Kumar, Ahmad M.Abu-Jrai. Valorization of waste “date seeds” bio-glycerol for synthesizing oxidative green fuel additive. Journal of Cleaner Production, 165, 1090-1096.
• Ala'a H. Al-Muhtaseb, Farrukh Jamil, Myo Tay Zar Myint, Mahad Baawain, Mohammed Al-Abri, Thi Ngoc Bao Dung, Gopalakrishnan Kumar, Mohammad N.M. Ahmad. Cleaner fuel production from waste phoenix dactylifera l. kernel oil in the presence of a bimetallic catalyst: optimization and kinetics study. Energy Conversion and Management. 146, 195– 204.
• Ala'a H. Al-Muhtaseb, Jamil, F. Al-Haj, L. Al-Hinai, M.A. Baawain, M. Myint, M.T.Z. Rooney, D. Efficient utilization of waste date pits for the synthesis of green diesel and jet fuel fractions. Energy Conversion and Management. 127, 226-232. 10. Briefly list the most recent professional development activities
• Critical Thinking Skills for the 21st Century, May 2017, Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (SQU)
• Preparing Effective Practitioners and Responsible Citizens for the 21st Century, May 2017, Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (SQU)
• Creating Significant Learning Experiences, Feb 2017 Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (SQU)